First day in Baltimore, MD for the Next Conference, and it was wonderful! The gospel is central and I was blessed to be a part of the worship through song and the ministry of the Word!
Joshua Harris spoke tonight on Luke 6, and the wise and foolish man building their houses on different foundations. Harris brought out many things that were challenging and encouraging. Here were a few things I noted from the message:
1. Jesus says, "Why do you call me 'Lord, Lord' if you do not obey my words."
2. Doctrine isn't an end in itself. Doctrine helps us to love, trust, and obey Christ.
3. Grace is not an it. Grace did not die in order to give itself to us. Jesus died in order to give himself to us.
4. A real, saving relationship with Jesus Christ necessarily involves doctrine.
5. Don't separate doctrinal truth from passion.
6. Knowing right doctrine isn't enough. We have to put Jesus' words into practice.
DON'T JUST TAKE NOTES ON A PIECE OF PAPER. MAKE NOTES ON YOUR LIFE!
Please know this isn't a formal outline. These are simply paraphrases/quotes of what was said during our time. If you want to hear the message, I'm sure you'd love it. They should be available soon online at www.thisisnext.org